The Beacon Network is a unique educational model within Denver Public Schools (DPS). We are part of an Innovation Management Organization that allows for an Executive Principal to oversee the two schools currently in the network — Kepner Beacon Middle School (KBMS) which will open in August 2016 and Grant Beacon Middle School (GBMS). The Beacon Network has the potential for future growth and may add more schools.
Schools that are granted Innovation status by DPS have more autonomy to develop practices that better meet the needs of individual students. As Innovation schools, Beacon schools have implemented:
- A more rigorous college preparatory curriculum.
- Blended learning with technology-based instruction, applications and assessments.
- A system for frequent analysis of student data.
- Research-based interventions that result in high growth and achievement.
- Increased instructional time.
- Reduced class sizes for reading, writing and math.
- Professional development for teachers to assist them in meeting the needs of our diverse learners.